Our operations

Share page on FacebookTwitter

Thermal coal

Miners at Goedehoop colliery Miners at Goedehoop colliery inspect the teeth on the front of a machine's rotary cutters

In South Africa, Thermal Coal wholly owns and operates seven mines and has a 50% interest in the Mafube colliery and Phola washing plant. 

Six of the mines collectively supply 23 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa) of thermal coal to both export and local markets. New Vaal, New Denmark and Kriel collieries are domestic product operations supplying 29 Mtpa of thermal coal to Eskom, the state-owned power utility. Isibonelo mine produces 5 Mtpa of thermal coal for Sasol Synthetic Fuels, the coal-to-liquids producer, under a 20 year supply contract.

Anglo American Inyosi Coal, a broad-based black economic empowerment (BEE) company valued at approximately $1 billion, is 73% held by Anglo American; the remaining 27% is held by Inyosi Coal, a BEE consortium led by the Pamodzi Coal and Lithemba consortia (66%), with WDB Inyosi Investments and AIC Community Trust holding the remaining equity. Anglo American Inyosi Coal, in turn, owns Kriel colliery, the new Zibulo multiproduct colliery and the greenfield projects of Elders, New Largo and Heidelberg.

Thermal Coal’s South African operations currently route all export thermal coal through the Richards Bay Coal Terminal (RBCT), in which it has a 24.17% shareholding, to customers throughout the Med-Atlantic and Asia-Pacific regions. 

Within South Africa, 62% of total sales tonnes are made to the Eskom power utility, of which the majority are on long term (i.e. life of mine) cost-plus contracts. A further 8% is sold to Sasol and 2% supplied to industrial sector consumers. The remaining 28% is exported through RBCT.

Find out more about our thermal coal operations 

Related content

Global operations map

Media contacts

Hulisani Rasivhaga
Media Relations
Anglo American in South Africa
PO Box 61587
Marshalltown, Johannesburg 2107
Email: Hulisani.Rasivhaga
@angloamerican.com